AddThis

27.7.14

No One Sits Alone

I'm not sure why this is, but it is.
I've observed this over and over throughout our ministry lives:


Pastor's wives. Sitting alone in church.

I've been trying to figure this out for a long time.  Partly because I'm a pastor's wife, and a pastor myself. Partly because, more often than not, I've sat alone for many years too.
Partly because I'm an observer of people. It saddens me and fascinates me all at once.

I know- weird.

But why?

It's probably logical right?
The pastor is usually busy doing his thing on Sunday morning and his wife is left to navigate on her own, deal with the kids and often do ministry work as well. People have their own families, and usually, their fiercely claimed weekly pew (or chair).
Let's admit it folks- we are creatures of habit....and comfort. 

And there sits the pastor's wife. Usually towards the front somewhere- alone- or maybe with some kiddos to keep quiet. Usually Sundays are not the sabbath for her.

CONFESSION TIME.
Secretly, I usually have a deep desire to sit in the back somewhere...I know...
Rebellious! Scandalous! Anytime I go to conferences or places like that, guess where I'm sitting.I just can't help myself. I want to disappear in the back.

Anyway, for those pastor's wives out there that often sit alone- we see you! (think Avatar)
 We don't mean to appear like we don't care or are ignoring you on purpose. It's often hard to know...you may want your privacy. You may not.

For those that love their pastor's wife- pay attention. Pastor's wives are people too.
They may not have the energy or courage to ask to sit with you.
They might be having a great week...or going through the fight of their lives.
If they want to sit in the back- let them- without judgement.
This may or may not even be an issue in your church. I hope not.

Nevertheless, God may be asking you to encourage them...
and it might only take the simple support of being- no words necessary.