AddThis

20.5.14

First Thing in the Morning

What's the first thing you do when you get up?
 
Me? I'm not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination.
Those of you who know me are probably laughing right now!
 
I've tried to convert, I really have! Alas, it just doesn't work for me. And to be honest with you, overly joyful morning people are annoying...well, to those of us who- let's say- are not. I've had other "non-morning" people tell me that it's fingernails-scratching-a-chalkboard annoying.
 
I can relate.
(dear morning friends and family, I love you)
 
There is a beauty in that though. We all do our best work at varying times of day and we are simply built differently. Some work their genius in the morning, while others deliver genius at night. I appreciate the variety, because if everyone was built like me, nothing would ever open before noon!
 

I read an article recently that proposed this thought: the most defining moment of our day is when we first wake up. The reasoning is that we have a choice about the first information we expose to our brain. Apparently the first 30 minutes after waking are key.

 
For me, the first thing I desire to expose my brain to is some strong coffee! 
 
I can see the value in this thinking. By meditating, exercising, writing in a journal, or doing something reflective for those first 30 minutes, we make a choice about what the foundation of our day will be built upon.
 

We expose our brain to something that sets the stage.

 
In King David's day, they might not have had brain science research, but he certainly knew something about this concept:
 
In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly. (Psalm 5:3)
 
But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble. (Psalm 59:16)
 
But I cry to you for help, Lord; in the morning my prayer comes before you. (Psalm 88:13)
 
Proclaiming your love in the morning and your faithfulness at night...
(Psalm 92:2)
 
Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life. (Psalm 143:8)
 
There's something to this morning thing!
I'm sure you morning people knew this all along.
So as long as it is accompanied by some strong coffee, count me in.
 
Even if it's 8 minutes, it's better than none.
Let the morning stage setting commence!
 
What do you do right after waking up?