AddThis

11.3.14

A Dog Called Courage



I love dogs.  I grew up with them.
They are the best pet in the world. (my opinion- no hate mail please!)
 
They are so lucky. They prance around living the good life- when to eat, when to go out, when they get to run, where are their toys and when they will get their belly rubbed.

Their only real concern is when they are going to see their Master next. And when they do, they will dance with joy. 
 
They don't worry about stuff like we do...
 
Public speaking, performing, speaking up when it's not popular, facing the unknown, taking a huge risk, asking your boss for a raise, sharing something personal in public, thinking about the future- or the future of someone else, uncomfortable confrontation, regretting the past, thinking about tomorrow, initiating a difficult conversation, taking the first step....

for pete's sake, they don't even make their own breakfast.
 
Life can be full of so much drama. Trouble. Worry.
And if your not feeling it now, it's lurking around the corner.
 
Fear is an interesting thing, as it can come in so many forms and tenses.
 
I fear the past will come back to haunt me.
I fear what you'll think of me- now and later.
I fear for you- what you'll do- or not do.
What's happening right now?
What's going to happen next?
 
Call it what you want- fear, worry, anxiety...
Either way, it can be paralyzing. It can take your breath away.
It can rule your thoughts and make life miserable.
 
Check out this comment I read the other day:
Fear and adrenaline feel exactly the same in our body...
fear is about stopping you, adrenaline is about forward action.

Choosing forward action takes courage.

In Psalms 27, David writes:
Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!

And again in chapter 31:
Be strong and let your heart take courage, all you who hope in the Lord!

If I had a dog today, I might name him Courage.
 
He would remind me that I can choose forward action, instead of paralyzing fear.

He would remind me that the best part of my day is waiting on the Master. It's then that I can dance with joy.