AddThis

3.8.12

Experiments in Gratitude- The Beginning.

I had this idea the other day.  It came on a particularly bad day too.

It must be that little voice in my head again.

In fact, this idea was inspired by the very notion that sometimes...okay many times...it isn't easy to focus on the positive. My gut tells me that it's more like human nature to dwell on the negative. Whether it be fear, doubt, worry, negative circumstances, the past, some annoying co-worker or a miriad of other emotions that crop up- let's face it- they can get the best of us.

I feel like I used to be more of a positive thinker when I was younger. Sometimes life has a way of wearing a person down.  In those times, it takes purpose and conviction to change the mind, and with God's help, the heart will follow.



My idea was this: What if, for 90 days, I purpose to focus on gratitude? How would it change me, my outlook, my relationships and every day
life?

Here's the plan:
  1. Each morning I choose one thing to be grateful for. I write it down and remember it.
  2. All day, I purpose to focus on, pray on and live out that specific thing- always keeping it in the forefront of my mind. 
  3. At the end of the day, I will reflect on that one thing and record my thoughts in a journal.

I invite you to take the journey with me. I will share some reflections with you along the way. Maybe you'll be able to identify and be encouraged. Maybe you'll just think I'm a bit nuts. Either way, what can it hurt? When the wall is broken down, we can see hope. 

None of us are the kings and queens of thankfulness I'm guessing.
The road may not be easy, but some baggage may be ditched along the way. Our head might be lifted and our breathing a little lighter.  Now wouldn't that feel good?

The mind can be a true battlefield.  Let's put on that fancy helmet, grab our shield and get on the field.  It might be messy, but it might have a really good ending.