AddThis

5.6.12

Things I never knew before moving to rural Minnesota- Part I

If you know me, you know that in my life I've lived in a variety of environments- especially since I've been a professional.  I've gone from living the urban life, to a suburban life and recently a rural life.  Very rural.  Very very rural.

I've learned a lot about myself in this process, but in the past 2.5 years of living in rural Northwestern Minnesota, I've also learned some new words, more than I ever wanted to know about farm animals and other things I may have never learned in the city.  

This will be the first installment of "things I never knew."  So grab your favorite latte, sit back and enjoy.  Who knows...you may just learn something too.

  • oh fer is a phrase that can occur before a variety of words. I had never heard of this incredibly flexible two word phraseology before. In order to use it correctly however, you have to have the inflection of voice in just the right places.  For example:
    • "Look at that puppy... oh fer cute!"
    • "The large mouth bass pulled you into the frigid water of lake Bemidji...in March?...oh fer funny!"
    • "Did you see that palm tree growing north of town? Oh fer strange!"
    • "Oh fer gross!  Is that actually a deer carcus hanging from that tree?"
    • "You brought your tapioca pudding to the potluck didn't 'cha? Oh fer nice!"
  •  Nordagully.  This term actually means "north of gully" (a town close by). Go figure.
  • Saw this on the way to Fargo:
  • Supposedly this is an animal tracker. Still not sure what the tin hat the guy was wearing was for.








  • Potato Klub.  If you would get clubbed over the head with this stuff, you might just be knocked out. Apparently, this is an interesting mix of flour, water and maybe other stuff rolled up into a big ball.  It's solid.  It's white. And you eat it. Um, yeah.
Not sure what the mystery meat is on this either.

  • Cows will lay down and squirt milk all over the place.  I'm totally serious. This happened to a friend of mine last week. No lie.  I couldn't stop laughing.  The visual image I have in my head still makes me smile.

And oh, there's so much more friends... installment #2 coming soon!